Many times I plan the meat but not the sides for dinner. Fried Rice is one of our favorite go to sides. We always have the ingredients and the Little Chefs eat it without complaints. The recipe is better if you cook the rice earlier in the day so it has time to cool in the refrigerator. But often times I am not that ahead of schedule and use the hot rice right out of the rice cooker.
Once the rice is done we add bacon grease to a skillet. Each time we cook bacon we save the grease. We pour it into an ice cube tray and when solid pop them out and put then in a freezer safe bag. (Each cube is NOT necessarily filled to the top. The cubes make it easier to handle in small portions when needed.) One cube is put in the saucepan to melt. The rice is then added to cook for a few minutes. If your rice was cold this step would reheat the rice. With warm rice this step goes quickly.
We buy frozen peas and carrots (all in one bag) because it is easy. We take a small bowl and add in the frozen peas and carrots with a little water and pop it into the microwave for a couple minutes to cook. Then they are added to the rice.
Scramble two eggs in a bowl then add it into the center of the skillet. Take a spoon and start to scramble the eggs. We like to incorporate the egg into the rice mixture before the egg is fully cooked. It sticks to the rice a bit making it yummy. After the egg is fully cooked grab your soy sauce bottle. Swirl it around the pan a few times and mix everything together.
Pretty easy right! The most time consuming part is letting the rice cook. The Little Chefs eat this up so well. The only bad part is the mess under the table after the meal. Those tiny pieces of rice are so hard to clean up!
Five Little Chefs
1 cup enriched white rice
2 cups water
1 cup frozen peas and carrot mixture
2 Tablespoons bacon grease or oil
Soy sauce to taste
1. In a saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. In a small bowl add frozen peas and carrots with 1 Tbsp water. Microwave for 2 minutes.
3. In a small bowl crack eggs and scramble.
4. In a skillet add bacon grease or oil. When hot add in cooked rice. Then stir in peas and carrots.
5. Add eggs int the middle of the rice mixture and stir for 15 seconds before combining with rice mixture.
6. Add in soy sauce, and mix everything together well to coat.