Summer picnic season is just around the corner. Outdoor BBQ’s, hamburgers and hot dogs, kids playing in the sprinklers, and plenty of Potato Salad. We made this Potato Salad from our Grandma’s recipe. She pretty much makes the perfect Potato Salad (Wow, that was a lot of “P” words!).
Grandma uses good old russet potatoes in her Potato Salad. We however, had red potatoes on hand, so that is what we used in our recipe this time – and we liked it just as much!! Little Chef K rinsed all the potatoes and put them in the pot to start cooking. It took a while, because these were smaller potatoes and she was cleaning each one very well and placing them ever so careful. She is such a good Little Chef!!!
While the potatoes were going, the Little Chefs got the eggs cooking. This was the first time Little Chef E cooked and pealed a hard-boiled egg. He loved cracking and pealing the eggs. But, was then bummed when he could not eat it – So, we made more so he could then eat them!! I love to see my Little Chefs get so excited to eat what they have cooked – we have learned that they are willing to eat and try a lot more things (and like it) when they have cooked it themselves!
So Grandma’s recipe….there really is no recipe. Finally, at one family gathering, my sister and I watched while she made the Potato Salad and wrote down everything as she went. The sauce was a little of this and a little of that, so after a few attempts of measuring out and getting the taste right, we think we figured it out. Little Chef B was in charge of the sauce for the Potato Salad this time around, and did a great job – but did require a shirt change after the pickle juice spilled all over him!
One of the secrets our Grandma told us with Potato Salad, is to make sure you pour the sauce over the cooked and diced potatoes, and coat them well while they are still warm. That way the potatoes soak up the sauce as they cool down. For this reason I do not add all the sauce. I reserve a little bit for after all the other ingredients are added just in case it needs a little more. Then, in go the sweet pickles – which give it a nice, sweet crunch! And the cheese, hard-boiled eggs, and red onions.
After it is all nice and coated with the sauce – stick it in the fridge until ready to serve. This is a yummy Potato Salad that will be a big hit at your next family BBQ or picnic!! For a nice BBQ recipe that would go great with this salad – try our Tangy BBQ Chicken Marinade, or the Beef Skewers with Cherry Tomatoes and Parsley Sauce.
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 red onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 c cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3/4 c sweet pickles, chopped
- 1 1/2 c mayo
- 1 T mustard
- splash of sweet pickle juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rise and place the potatoes in a large pot of water.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer and cook the potatoes until they are barely tender to pierce with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the eggs in a small pan, bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Let the eggs cool, peal them and cut into small pieces.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the mayo, mustard, pickle juice and the salt and pepper.
- Once the potatoes are done, carefully mix until well coated with the sauce.
- Add the eggs, cheese, pickles, and onions to the potatoes.
- Gently combine all ingredients.
- Place in fridge until ready to serve.