Holidays are more fun when food is involved. We made fun Easter Treats – a birds nest. All the items included are edible which makes it perfect for an easy craft or for a festive centerpiece if you put a few in a row.
For some reason edible treats are always more fun. Depending on the person it is either more fun to create or more fun to eat. This one didn’t turn out exactly as I had planned in my mind, but my kids still love it. I adjusted the size and it worked a lot better.
- Big League Chew
- Pretzel Twists – candy covered or plain
- Jelly Beans
- frosting – in a ziploc bag with the end cut or a piping bag.
- “Glue” 8 pretzels together to form a circle with frosting. I like to put the frosting in a piping bag with a small tip or in a ziploc bag with one corner just barely cut off. If you are not going to eat the pretzels you could always hot glue them together instead for an even stronger hold. As you can see from the picture below the first time I made this it was a bit larger.
- Put the big league chew inside your nest.
- Add some jelly beans.
- Add one peep.
- If you would like to transform the nest into a basket add an airhead as an arch. Perhaps a Twizzler Pull and Peel would stand up better.
The peeps may not stay soft for very long so I suggest assembling these and putting the peep in at the last minute before your easter celebration. Better yet, allow the kids to make their own easter treats. From my experience some finish the project and others just like eating the parts. Either way they are having fun celebrating the holiday with those they love, creating memories.